Baccalaureate Renewal/Graduation Overview
The 2019-20 Baccalaureate Renewal/Graduation Portal Annual Renewal Process is now closed. Scholars who have requested to renew their scholarship will receive an email in August regarding renewal status. Please note that Scholars who are required to submit an Award Increase Request this year must be approved for increase to be approved for renewal. Learn more about the Award Increase Request process here.
The baccalaureate Opportunity Scholarship is renewable for up to five years. All current Scholars must maintain their eligibility every year to continue receiving funding. Current Scholars must complete the renewal process each year between May 1 and June 30 through the Renewal/Graduation Portal.
Scholars who have graduated or are graduating are also asked to complete the process, so we can record the success of our Scholars and protect funding for future Scholars.
Scholars who do not wish to renew their scholarship for the upcoming academic year should still complete the process to minimize the number of reminder emails, phone calls and text messages they will receive. This information also helps us understand how we can improve our program supports.
During the renewal process, Scholars are asked to provide evidence that during the prior year they met the ongoing requirements of the scholarship. All annual requirements are intended to ensure Scholars remain committed to a STEM or health care field and make progress toward their degree. The specific requirements Scholars will be asked to demonstrate during the annual renewal process are outlined below:
- MAKE PROGRESS TOWARD A STEM OR HEALTH CARE DEGREE
- Pursue an eligible science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care major as defined on our list of approved majors. During the renewal, all Scholars will confirm their current major.
- Enroll at an eligible Washington state institution (as defined on our list of eligible colleges and universities) and plan to pursue a bachelor’s degree.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): Scholars must meet their college or university’s SAP policy. These policies differ between institutions; Scholars can confirm their institution’s GPA and minimum credit completion requirements with the financial aid office on campus.
- Enroll at least half-time (6 or more credits) every term. Financial aid offices will refund scholarship funds disbursed to students attending less than half-time. Scholars will commit to enroll at least half-time during the renewal process. Scholars enrolled less than half time should review the WSOS Leave of Absence Scholar are not expected to enroll in nor does WSOS fund summer term.
- SEEK ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL SUPPORT
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) by June 30 each year.
- Apply for Federal Education Tax Credits, if eligible. Each Scholar or family who is eligible to do so must take advantage of the available federal education tax credits when filing their annual tax return. WSOS cannot verify eligibility for this tax credit
Deadline for Renewal
We recommend Current Scholars aim to complete the annual renewal process by as soon as possible. Scholars who do not complete the annual renewal process by the final deadline on June 30, will be withdrawn and forfeit future scholarship funding.