Baccalaureate Renewal/Graduation Overview
The Baccalaureate Opportunity Scholarship is renewable for up to five years. All current Scholars must maintain their eligibility every year to continue to receive funding. Current Scholars must complete the renewal process each year between April and June through the Renewal/Graduation Portal.
Scholars who have graduated or are graduating are also asked to complete the process so that WSOS can protect funding for future Scholars.
Scholars who do not wish to renew their scholarship for the upcoming academic year should still complete the process to minimize the number of reminder emails, phone calls and text messages they will receive. This information also helps us understand how we can improve our program supports.
During the renewal process, Scholars are asked to provide evidence that they met the requirements to maintain their scholarship during the previous year. All annual requirements are intended to ensure Scholars remain committed to a STEM or health care field and make progress toward their degree. The requirements Scholars will be asked to demonstrate are outlined below:
- MAKE PROGRESS TOWARD A STEM OR HEALTH CARE DEGREE
- Pursue an eligible STEM or health care major as defined on our list of approved majors. All Scholars will need to confirm their current major.
- Enroll at an eligible Washington state institution (as defined on our list of eligible colleges and universities) and plan to pursue a bachelor’s degree.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): Scholars must meet their college or university’s SAP policy. These policies differ between institutions; Scholars can confirm their institution’s GPA and minimum credit completion requirements with the financial aid office on campus.
- Enroll at least half-time (six or more credits) every term. Financial aid offices will refund scholarship funds disbursed to students attending less than half-time. Scholars should commit to enroll at least half-time during the renewal process. Scholars enrolled less than half-time have the option to take a Leave of Absence (LOA) to remain eligible for renewal. Please review the Leave of Absence policy to learn more.
- Scholars are not expected to enroll in nor does WSOS fund summer term.
- SEEK ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL SUPPORT
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) by June 30 each year.
- Apply for Federal Education Tax Credits, if eligible. Each Scholar or family who is eligible to do so must take advantage of the available federal education tax credits when filing their annual tax return. WSOS cannot verify eligibility for this tax credit.