2020 Baccalaureate Scholarship recipients have been selected!
Selected applicants that accepted the scholarship will be required to complete the orientation beginning April 6 until June 24.
2020 Application Timeline: Key Milestones & Dates
|Application Milestone||Application Dates|
|Application Opens||January 6, 2020|
|Application Deadline||February 6, 2020|
|Official Transcripts Postmarked||February 10, 2020|
|FAFSA/WASFA Submitted||February 10, 2020|
|Selection Notification||March 19, 2020|
|Acceptance Deadline||April 2, 2020|
|Online Orientation Deadline||June 24, 2020|
Eligibility Requirements for Applicants
Applicants for the scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Washington state resident as defined by state Legislature (RCW 28B.15.012).
- Earn a high school diploma or GED from a Washington state institution by June of the year of application.
- FINANCIAL NEED
- File the upcoming academic year’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) by the application deadline.
- Apply for Federal Education Tax Credits, if eligible.
- Have total family income (adjusted gross income plus all untaxed income) that does not exceed 125% of Washington state family median income based on family size, as described in this chart.
- ACADEMIC RECORD
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) as of application date of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale), demonstrated on either a current college or high school transcript; OR
- A passing GED score, demonstrated on an official score report.
- ENROLLMENT PLAN
- Plan to pursue an eligible science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care major as defined on the eligible majors list.
- Plan to enroll at an eligible Washington state institution for the fall term following selection as defined on the list of eligible college and universities.
- Plan to enroll at least half-time (six or more credits) every term. Scholars are not expected to enroll in nor does WSOS fund summer term.
- PREVIOUS EDUCATION EXPERIENCE
- Do not yet have a bachelor’s degree.
- Applicant must currently be a:
- High school senior or graduate (high school equivalency)
- College freshman or college sophomore. If the applicant has completed any college terms or college credits post high-school, they must meet either the maximum term OR maximum credit requirement stated below:
- Maximum Terms Completed: The applicant must have completed no more than six quarters or four semesters of college at the end of the current academic year; OR
- Maximum Credits Earned: The applicant must have earned no more than 90 quarter or 60 semester credits at the end of the current academic year
- If you are still unsure, we recommend on using this credit/term eligibility flowchart to determine if you are eligible to apply.
Interested applicants must complete the entire application process. Applicants must:
- Complete all application sections via the Scholarship Application Portal and click “Submit” by the application deadline.
- Mail your official transcript or GED scores to WSOS c/o Baccalaureate Scholarship at this address: 1414 31st Ave S., Suite 302, Seattle, WA 98144.
- Submit the FAFSA or WASFA for the relevant academic year by the deadline on the application timeline.
The application will require approximately 60 to 90 minutes to complete. Applicants may start the application, save progress and return to complete it later up until the application deadline. Applicants should know what college they expect to attend and what major they intend to complete before beginning their application.
Selection & Notification
The Board of Directors is ultimately responsible for providing the guidance on which factors determine Scholar selection. The criteria upon which selection is based varies year to year but generally include a combination of students’ financial need, intended major of study, demonstrated STEM or health care engagement or interest and academic achievement.
Applicants will be notified about the selection decision by April 19 (see table above for current application timeline). Students who are not selected are invited to reapply in future application periods should they meet eligibility criteria. Selected students will receive further instructions on how to formally accept the scholarship and complete the mandatory online orientation.
Selection notification emails are sent to the email address applicants provide on the application; we strongly encourage all applicants to carefully enter their email and to add firstname.lastname@example.org to their list of trusted senders.
Acceptance & Orientation
Becoming a Scholar
Selected students who complete the acceptance and orientation will join a cohort of like-minded Washington students who are working to change the face of our high-demand STEM and health care industries. Once in the program, students quickly learn that being an Opportunity Scholar is about more than just money. In addition to receiving a renewable scholarship for up to five years, Scholars will be supported to achieve academic success through our signature Scholar Lead program and prepared for career launch through an industry mentorship in Skills that Shine. To read more about Scholar supports, please visit the Current Scholars section of the website.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help.