INDUSTRY MENTORS LAUNCH SCHOLARS INTO WASHINGTON JOBS
"I didn't expect how powerful a mentor could be in my life! I am now more confident in my career goals. As the first in my family to go to college, I won't forget those who helped me. Skills that Shine really did, and that's why I'm happy to give back to others."
– Kathleen Kouthong, alum, manufacturing engineer and StS mentor
”Giving back as a mentor required me to articulate my job function, professional goals and my company's vision. Mentorship requires you to reflect and have thoughtful discussions, which promotes self-growth. It feels good knowing you are a valuable role model.”
- Mason Mazza, Boeing engineer and StS mentor
"I had the pleasure of being Agustin's mentor and I have been humbled and inspired by his efforts to become a civil engineer. It has been my pleasure to help Agustin tell his story and provide an opportunity to turn his ambitions into reality.”
- Justin Anderson, HNTB project engineer and StS mentor
"WSOS offers great networking opportunities because they're connected to so many professionals in our fields. One thing leads to another, and thanks to their connections, there's always a good opportunity to network and meet new people."
- Ewurama Karikari, mechanical engineering, Opportunity Scholar alumni
The Skills that Shine (StS) program leverages industry mentorship to enhance Scholars’ career readiness skills and network, ensuring a smoother transition from college to career. Our Scholars are book smart and highly motivated to make a strong contribution to their future employers. However many haven't had access to the resources, coaching or connections they need to be competitive in the twenty-first century job market.
That’s where StS comes in! Research shows the most important factor in successful mentorship is empathy. With this in mind, WSOS designed the guided StS curriculum to focus on building a sense of trust and belonging between mentor and mentee.
Who are mentors
Mentors are passionate volunteers at any stage of their career who are willing to share about their own STEM or health care industry experience and career journey. Mentees are third-year Opportunity Scholars pursuing baccalaureate STEM or health care degrees who are eager to learn from a caring professional.
Why this works
- Mentees select their own mentors based on their individual values.
- StS has an easy-to-access online curriculum.
- Participants complete two required milestones but otherwise choose areas where they want to focus their personal growth.
- StS is flexible; mentors and mentees can connect in person, over the phone or online.
- WSOS provides helpful resources, training and support for mentors to jump start the relationship.
- This is an opportunity for Washington employers to get in front of our state’s best and brightest talent.
How it works
- Mentors sign up via our unique, WSOS matching platform and receive a mentor toolkit.
- Scholars select their mentor based on shared attributes.
- During the academic year, mentorship pairs spend six to eight hours working through an online curriculum completing two milestones along the way.
- Mentors and mentees celebrate their experience in a culminating networking event.
Ready to launch Scholars?
The lift is light but the impact is tremendous! Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org