Learn more about stock donations to WSOS
When you donate appreciated securities that you have held for more than a year, you not only get your current tax deduction for your gift but avoid long-term capital gains taxes!
Not sure how this works? Here's an example:
Sharron has stocks currently valued at $25,000 that she purchased for $5,000 several years ago, which will result in a $20,000 capital gain if she sells the securities. She is in a 35 percent marginal income tax bracket.
If Sharron donates this stock to her favorite nonprofit, here are the benefits she will receive:
- Sharron receives an income tax charitable deduction for the full fair market value of $25,000 – saving her $8,750 ($25,000 x 35 percent) in income taxes.
- Sharron also bypasses the $20,000 capital gain, saving $3,000 in her 15 percent capital gain tax bracket ($20,000 x 15 percent).
- The total tax savings from capital gain and income taxes is $11,750.
Tip: The best stocks to donate are those that have significantly increased in value—particularly those producing low yield that you have owned for longer than one year.
Interested in donating stock to Washington State Opportunity Scholarship? The process couldn’t be easier, simply follow these steps to facilitate the transfer of shares:
- Provide your broker with the following information for our program administrator:
The Washington STEM Center (dba Washington STEM) Tax ID Number: 27-2133169
Broker: Oppenheimer & Co. Inc.
DTC Number: 0571
Account Number: G71-1384037
For credit to: Washington State Opportunity Scholarship
- Remind your broker to include your name, contact information, and any special instructions for use of the gift, including its designation to WSOS, with your transfer.
- Contact the Development office at firstname.lastname@example.org with information about the type of stock you’re giving and number of shares, as well as any special considerations you may have.
Have any additional questions about making a gift? Contact the Development office at email@example.com.