INVEST LOCALLY: GOVERNMENT PARTNERSHIP WITH WSOS
For a decade, the Washington State Opportunity Scholarship (WSOS) has provided scholarships and support services to Washington students. Our unique public-private partnership has connected nearly 6,500 graduates to leading industries, ensuring diverse, local talent is positioned to drive our economy forward.
For the first time, tribes, cities and counties can leverage a dollar-for-dollar state match and tailor our effective scholarship model to the unique needs of their community. A partnership allows governments to create additional scholarship seats exclusive for their community, ensuring students have increased access to postsecondary education and training in high-demand fields.
How it works:
Who can invest:
City, county or tribal entities
- Partners invest in the WSOS scholarship model, narrowing in on program rules that meet the unique needs of the local workforce and community.
- WSOS secures a dollar-for-dollar state match that doubles the investment.
- Together we promote the opportunity to attract as many eligible applicants as possible.
WSOS takes care of the details, from the application to the disbursement of dollars and support services.
We have a program for every path to a living-wage career in Washington.
Up to $22,500 over five years
• Supports more than 125 eligible STEM and health care bachelor’s programs.
• Can be used at more than 60 public or private institutions in Washington state.
Up to $25,000 over three years
• Supports students pursuing a Doctor of Nurse Practitioner (DNP) or a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) to become nurse practitioners in medically underserved areas.
Up to $1,500 per quarter
• Supports more than 2,000 eligible trade, STEM and health care programs.
• Can be used toward apprenticeships, certificates and associate degrees at any of Washington’s 34 community and technical colleges.
Rural Jobs Initiative: a Career and Technical Scholarship program
Up to $3,500 in financial aid in addition to $1,500 in Career and Technical Scholarship funding
• Initiative of the Career and Technical Scholarship that connects rural students to education and training that leads to a high-demand jobs in their rural community.
• Provides additional financial support for costs such as travel to distant campuses, Wi-Fi hot spots and more.
FAQ on Governmental Partnerships
What’s the incentive to invest?
A partnership with WSOS can save the time and money it takes to administer a scholarship or could be used to multiply or complement an existing scholarship program. Governments can double the resources available to support students while providing their community with exclusive access to a highly competitive program with clear outcomes and a strong ROI.
Who is eligible for a governmental partnership?
Federally recognized tribes, municipalities and counties.
Which WSOS programs are eligible?
Governments can structure their partnership to include one or a combination of our four scholarship programs. Partners can choose to limit eligibility or allow recipients to choose from any of our eligible trade, STEM or health care credentials to support.
Who would be eligible to receive an Opportunity Scholarship through a governmental partnership?
Any students selected through the partnership must meet the eligibility criteria that apply to all Opportunity Scholars, which can be found on each scholarship's applicant page. Partners can further specify criteria within WSOS eligibility so long as it complies with applicable laws and can be operationalized by WSOS staff. For example, partners can target support to specific institutions or programs relevant to workforce needs, limit funding based on financial need and more. Contact us for more details.
How can I learn more?
Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about this opportunity.