The Washington State Opportunity Scholarship helps low- and middle-income Washington State residents earn first bachelor’s degrees. More than 750 scholarships will be awarded to new students who will be college freshmen, sophomores or juniors fall of the 2013-14 academic year. These students will receive $1,000 renewable scholarship each year, (provided they continue to meet the renewal criteria), to help in their pursuit of four-year degrees in the following eligible high demand programs of study: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) or Health Care.
When students have completed enough credits to reach junior class standing, (at least 90 quarter credits or 60 semester credits), and have submitted verification that they have been admitted into an approved high demand major (by alphabet; by category) as determined for 2013-14, their scholarship will be increased to $5000.
If you were selected last year, you will need to complete a renewal application which will be available June 1, 2013. For additional information on renewal requirements please click here.
- January 7, 2013 – On-line application available
- 5:00 p.m. Monday, February 18, 2013 – On-line application deadline
- New Deadline - 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - for official transcripts to be postmarked
- March 1, 2013 - Deadline for FAFSA to be filed
- May 1, 2013 – Applicants will begin to be notified of selection decisions
- May 20, 2013 - Deadline for WSOS acceptance form
- Student must receive (or have received) a high school diploma or GED from a Washington state high school or institution
- Student must be a Washington state resident (as defined in RCW 28B.15.012)
- Student must be enrolling as a college freshman, sophomore or junior fall 2013
- Student must be pursuing a high demand, eligible major (by alphabet; by category) in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM) or health care
Please note: If you will be attending a public community or technical college fall 2013 that does not offer a four-year degree in your high demand, eligible major, you must transfer to an eligible four-year college/university that does by fall 2015
- Student must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) through fall quarter/semester 2012 of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Student must enroll full-time each term as a college student, which is 12 credits each quarter, equivalent for semester
- Student must submit the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov by March 1, 2013
- Student’s family income (adjusted gross income plus all untaxed income) must be less than or equal to 125% of Washington state median family income. (Note: Unless you qualified to submit the FAFSA as an independent student, the family income amounts are those reported by your parent(s) on your 2013-2014 FAFSA)
- Student must be working toward a first bachelor’s degree, (i.e. four-year degree), in a high demand eligible major (by alphabet; by category) from an eligible Washington State college/university
Application is closed - Deadline 5:00 p.m. Monday, February 18, 2013
If you were selected last year, you will need to complete a renewal application. For additional information on renewal requirements please click here.